PORON® Cushioning Winter Trade Show Wrap –Up Reveals Latest Trends
From Salt Lake City to Munich and Beijing to Portland, our trade show travels have taken us around the world this winter to meet with product developers and designers looking for the latest developments in technical materials.
The 2012 Outdoor Retailer Winter Market that took place in Salt Lake City and ISPO China Trade Fair in Beijing boasted record numbers of exhibitors and retail attendees. Many Asian manufactureres are creating their own brands. ISPO Munich reported that attendance was stable in spite of the lack of snow and uncertain economy. The NE and NW Materials Show, once predominantly a footwear supplier show, saw an increase in the number of active apparel suppliers exhibiting at the shows. All in all, these reports appear to reflect growth in the outdoor and active sports market.
Following are a few reoccurring trends that we discovered at the shows….
- Wearable impact protection is still a design target for many.
- Compression gear is very popular and it appears that many companies have their own versions
- ‘Barefoot’ has taken a couple of new spins where many brands are introducing footwear for those who want the barefoot style, feeling and benefits, without going hard core.
- Eye-popping neons in yellow, orange, green and blue! Anyone remember the ‘80s?!
- Hi-tech and stylish protection for hi-tech gadgets. It’s not just what’s inside that counts, but also how you carry it.
- Hand bags and luggage that go from office to vacation
- Beanies and caps of all shapes, sizes and colors – bomber hats, sloppy, floppy style caps and multi-animal styles for kids
- Gloves for impact protection to those that allow you to operate a touchscreen
Any noteworthy trends you’d like to add that we may have forgotten? We’d love to hear them!